Thursday, October 8, 2015

Writing Preparation

So here we are in October. The month has a lot of meaning for me. It is my favorite time of the year.

It is the first full month of Autumn. The air is turning cool, the sky is a different shade of blue. And the trees. Oh, the trees. Changing out of their summer dresses and into their lavish fall gowns. Scarlet shades of red. Golden yellow, bright and waving. Warm orange, standing tall between the reds and yellows. Even the rustic browns stand out like accessories against the vivid shades of their peers.

In other words, I love Autumn. At the end of the month we have Halloween, All Hallow's Eve, Samhain. It is also the most stressful day of my year.

The reason for my stress is that October 31st is also the day before the start of NaNoWriMo.

NaNoWriMo aka National Novel Writing Month is an annual event where writers around the world sit down with their laptops or tablets or notebooks & pens and attempt to write 50,000 words of a novel in 30 days.

I've been doing this event since 2004. I wrote about 2000 words of a paranormal romance and promptly crashed and burned. Unmotivated and no real idea what to do with it.

2005 on the other hand I slammed out a fully fledged apocalyptic science fiction novel. A fantasy in 2006. 2007 was another science fiction novel. 2008... and so on. I've succeeded seven times in the last 11 years which isn't too bad.

So now begins the planning stage. Though I'm more of a Pantser than a Planner. But I do like to have a basic idea of what I'm going to do and I've start doing research that I use while writing.

So are you going to sign up for NaNoWriMo this year? Let me know in the comments below.




No comments:

Post a Comment