Thursday, October 8, 2020

What Is A Trope?

As I’ve wandered deeper into the writing community and learning about writing. Occasionally I come

across terminology that is unfamiliar. Most of the time, I don’t ask for an explanation. I just pretend I know what everyone else is talking about. Most of the time I can fake it pretty successfully. But then, I do write fiction after.

Which brings me to a word I’ve seen here and there.

Trope.


What is a Trope?


Well… that’s a really good question. So naturally I had to do some research on the subject. 

To start with, the origin of the word comes from the Greek “tropos” which means direction or way. Of course there is more to the etymology of the word, but if you want to know more, there are plenty of resources on the internet to find it. 


There are a number of definitions of the word. Just as there are a number of different types of tropes. Some tropes are bundled under even other classifications.


For example, for the sake of simplicity: Literary Tropes, Movie Tropes, and TV Tropes. You can take it even further such as Fantasy Tropes, Dystopian Tropes, etcetera. Once I got to this point, I started to get that little stress crease between my brows that usually means I’m struggling to maintain interest.


Let’s wander over to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary. That should make it simpler, right? First definition is “: a word or expression used in a figurative sense:” Figure of Speech. So let's wander over to the second definition “: a common or overused theme or device :” CLICHÉ.


I think we’re getting closer to understanding what a trope is. At least I am. I hope. What it comes down to is a Plot Device. Something you see in different genres or media. Something that is used over and over again. In some cases, so often, it’s easy to guess how the story will end or at least what the general plot will be.


Let’s try some examples of tropes. Since I write paranormal mystery/romance, let’s see what the common tropes are in that.


The Paranormal Investigator: This person investigates a supernatural crime of some sort. In television it would be shows like X-Files or Night Stalker or Supernatural.


I See Dead People: This person can see ghosts that others can or cannot interact with. The ghosts may deeply impact their lives or just hang around as a weird roommate.


Soul Bonds: These people are fated to be together. Their destiny is to fall in love and no one else will do it for them. Even if they hate each other at first.


Now this is not to say tropes are bad. They aren't. They can be used effectively to create a good story. After all, the X Files was on television for years.


Which tropes do you see over and over? And which ones do you hate?




No comments:

Post a Comment